Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Godfather

I think that one of the most difficult things about reviewing any art form, be it literature, music or film, comes when you run across a piece of work that is so highly praised by so many people that it's almost impossible to write a review that is completely unbiased and free from the influence of the undeniable impact that certain pieces of work have on our culture.

This is the problem I face when reviewing something like The Godfather. I know that people almost unanimously see The Godfather as the perfect film. It is difficult to be critical when approaching something like that, and I have certainly tried. After watching the film, I sat and thought about what I would say. I even went so far as to take a quick shower, as everyone knows we get our best ideas there. And after trying again and again to find some fault with The Godfather, the only even semi-negative thing I can really say is that the film is so engaging and intricate that it's impossible to just shut your brain off when watching it. This is not a popcorn movie or an easy to swallow summer blockbuster. This film demands your attention and keeps it until the final closing-door shot. But I can't really call this a criticism for the film; you really just have to be in the right mood to watch it.
So what are the positives? Virtually everything. The performances are fantastic. Marlon Brando is captivating right from the opening scene. He is a powerful presence that fills the room with the weight and power of his position over the undertaker. Al Pacino as Michael Corleone gives my favorite performance. It's hard to speak about without giving major plot points away, which I'm going to try not to do in my reviews. Suffice it to say that Al Pacino ends up stealing the show in the end. I could go on and on about the other actors, but these are the ones that stuck out to me the most.

The pacing of the film is a bit slower than Shawshank. The film runs around three hours and even though it is very engrossing, I did feel the time going by more so than when watching Shawshank. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the way that the movie plays out. Everything is set up perfectly in the first thirty minutes or so: the power and influence of the Corleone family, the personalities of all the major family members, the relationship between the Corleone's and various other characters. From here, you witness a story filled with loyalty and betrayal, actions and consequences, war and bloodshed. Everything is perfectly orchestrated from start to finish.

I'm going to give this movie two overall ratings. One for the film as it is, and one as a recommendation for the average film-goer. You really have to give yourself to this film, and not a lot of people want to sit through something that demands so much time and attention. That being said, this really is a perfect film that I can't find any fault with no matter how hard I try.

Overall Film Score - 10/10
Average Recommendation - 7/10





No comments:

Post a Comment